“Poha” or flattened rice medley is an excellent vegetarian breakfast option. It tastes delicious, is nutritious and has a good satiety value.
I would recommend this for a weekend breakfast – when you have some time on hand or when you craving for a carbohydrate fix. Poha is primarily a Maharashtrian recipe and other states in India have their own delicious versions of the flattened rice – such as “Chirer Pulao” from West Bengal.
Poha Recipe Details:
The prep time for this recipe is about 20-25 mins and it will serve 3-4 people.
- 1 finely chopped medium-sized onion
- 1 potato cut into small cubes
- handful of coriander leaves
- handful of fresh shredded coconut (you can use dried coconut as well)
- 4-5 chopped green chillis (or as per your desired heat level)
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp of finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1.5 cup of thick flattened rice (please do not use the thin or “nylon” variety of flattened rice for this recipe)
- 2-3 tbsp of raw peanuts (optional)
- 1 lemon or lime (depending on your preference)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- First soak some thick flattened rice in water for 10 mins. Drain the water. Set aside.
- Microwave the potatoes cubes until tender. It usually takes around 3-4 mins. Set aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add curry leaves. Once the curry leaves have crackled, add the chopped green chillis, ginger and raw peanuts.. Saute.
- Add and saute the chopped onion until translucent.
- Add turmeric powder and the potato cubes. Saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the drained flattened rice and salt to taste.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon or lesser (depending on your desired level of sourness) and coriander leaves. Mix again.
- Do a final salt taste test. The flattened rice is quiet absorbant and can throw the salt balance off.
- Garnish with fresh shredded coconut.
Enjoy as is or with some pickle!
Note: I didn’t have mustard seeds or curry leaves at my disposal but it still turned out great.